What’s most important for children to learn? How and where does learning happen? How can parents put their best foot forward to support their children’s learning and growth?
I explore these questions and more in my articles, Thus far, you ‘ll find pieces on such diverse topics as reading and literacy, play, brain development, parenting philosophy, and choosing schools. Parents of children in preschool through high school will find many of these articles to be relevant.
Here are a few pieces I recommend you start with:
I add new articles most weeks and send out my best articles in my email newsletter, which comes out one to four times per month, depending on the age of your child. I invite you to sign up here.
Emotions and Behavior
- Make Empathy a Reflex
- Name That Emotion!
- Thinking About Temperament Makes You a Better Parent
- To Help Your Child Manage Emotions, Show Him How to Do the Limbic
- The Single Most Important Skill You Can Teach Your Child
- Think Less About How You Parent and More About Who You Are
- What Preemies Teach Us About Managing Stress
- If You Fight in Front of Your Kids, Make Up in Front of Your Kids
- What If I Don’t Want My Child to Be Just Like Me?
- Connection Before Correction
- To Help Your Child Develop Responsibility, Ask Questions
- Will My Child Remember the Time I Lost My Cool?
- “Wow, How Did You Do That?!”
- Why Pretend Play Is Your Preschooler’s Best Teacher
- To Jump-Start Pretend Play, Teach Kids About the Adult World
- Children’s Play Areas Are For … Children!
- Teach Your Children How to Pretend Play
- Build a “Chocolate Factory” in Your Home
- Child’s Play Is Serious — Don’t Interrupt
- In Praise of (Brutal) Board Games!
- Let Your Child Play His Way to Success
Reading and Literacy
- What’s More Important to Teach Your Child: Letters or Sounds?
- Help Your Child Discover These 3 Joys of Reading
- The Single Most Important Thing to Do When Reading Aloud to Your Child
- Having a Reading Self-Concept Is Even Better Than Enjoying Reading
- How Your Child’s Questions Sow the Seeds of Reading Success
- The Magic of Book Talk
- Why Difficult Questions Are the Best Questions
- Ignore Your Child. Read a Good Book Instead.
- Why Most Children Don’t Grow up to Be Readers — and How You Can Change the Odds
- What’s Most Important When Evaluating School Quality?
- When Evaluating a School, Try to Identify Its Core Values
- Nature Versus Nurture No More. Now It’s the Nature-Nurture Loop
- How to Help Your Child Develop Her Memory
- What’s in the Crayon Box? Paper Clips, of Course!
- If I Say “Day,” You Say “Night”